Monday, March 9, 2009

Big Love

I am completely shocked at the things that are going on around me in the world and in the media. Today as I was checking my Facebook, I saw there were many people joining the group Boycott HBO. It caught my attention so I decided to check it out and this is what I saw:

"On Sunday March 15th, the HBO show Big Love is showing an episode containing an excommunication as well as temple ceremonies. They hired an ex-member to help re-create the ceremony, rooms, and clothing."

I thought there is no way this could be really happening. But if you look in the current TV Guide you will see a woman dressed in Temple clothing (which by the way are pretty close to the real thing). There is also a synopsis of next weeks episode which states the above. I am completely shocked!

KSL News has an article on it and it has statement from the producers and the Church. Here is what the producer said: "Executive Producer Mark Olsen hired a former member of the LDS Church to consult with set and wardrobe designers to re-create the ceremonies, including clothing and certain rooms inside the temple. He insists it's not intended for shock value, it's simple a very important part of the story."

A statement released by the LDS Church called on members not to overreact. It said in part, "Despite earlier assurances from HBO it once again blurs the distinctions between The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the shows fictional non-Mormon characters and their practices. Such things say much more about the insensitivities of writers, producers and TV executives than they say about Latter-day Saints.

I am just amazed at how much Satan is in power. This has helped remind me to not get to comfortable in the world around me and even the most shocking things are acceptable to be portrayed in the Media.

Can you believe this?
How do you feel about the Media and Satan's power?

Here is the link for KSL
LDS Church's Statement

7 comments:

Trav-Amy-Kennedy-Shaylee Barney said...

I know I heard about this on facebook as well...and was so shocked I still think it is crazy that on tv they can throw out the b word! Things are definitely changing!

Dan and Lora said...

Lindz-
This afternoon when I was checking my e-mail I could not believe this... I think the only thing we can do is to make sure that in our homes and in our lives we keep those types of things in our homes...
Also, just wanted to say thanks for posting this to your blog and sharing your testimony with us...
Love ya

It all began here said...

Lindz, this is shocking, but do you realize that you are advertising,and creating curiosity by posting this?

Are you going to watch it?

The Christensen's said...

Mom,

I am not trying to draw attention to this, but yes I want people to be curious and realize how powerful Satan is. I have never even seen the show, and no I will not watch it.

Matchbox Mom said...

THIS is NUTS! I wa so mad yesterday too! GRRRR

Jonny said...

Pay Me Forward

bestofthebishops said...

I am worried about the way the writers portray the whole thing, i am sure it will be portrayed as crazy and negative. I won't be watching b/c we don't even have cable. Satan is definitely a force to be reckoned with.
Love ya!
p.s. why does Jonny keep saying "Pay Me Forward."