Thursday, May 28, 2009

What are we thinking!

Lately I have been thinking a lot about the economy and how it is effecting Jonny and I. To be honest Jonny and I have not really felt the pull that others are feeling. We definitely work hard to have our nice things and are able to go out to dinner, but have not really had to worry about paying our bills or buying groceries. Seeing our spending habits lately has made me think of ways we can cut back and start saving more money; in case we do come to a time when we need it. Luckily I have a really great husband who excellent with money and budgeting, but what was I willing to do to contribute? So I googled ways to cut back on spending here is what came up.

1. Cook at home more often.
- We eat out quite frequently. The weekend comes and all we do is go to dinner or lunch. We definitlely can be better at this! Jonny you will now be taking lunch to work!
2. Brown bag lunch at least of few days.
- I take lunch everyday. There is occasionally a time when I dont and will eat out, but Jonny eats out everyday!
3. Make list before going grocery shopping.
- I am a master list maker. I make lists for everything grocery shopping included. The problem with this is we just end up adding crap that we dont need to the list.
4. Disconnect land line if possible.
- We do not have a landline, but our cell phone bill is pretty high. So think of ways to cut back cellphone costs.
5. Avoid impulse buying.
- Jonny and I are awful at this. If we want it, we buy it. We really need to start buying things we absolutely need.
6.
Finally, keep distance from lavish, high-roller friends.
- So to all of our high-roller friends keep away, we cant keep up with your lifestyle! haha

5 comments:

Tara said...

Just relating to one of your ideas #5. I am the worst impulse buyer in the world! I do this with a credit card or our credit/debit card that we pay off every month. I hardly ever use my check card. Yesterday I rubberbanded all but my check card and put them away so that I will only buy what I absolutely need and when I need those bigger funds, I will know where to find those cards but for those impulse items, I no longer have that access!

Jonny said...

I am glad to see that you are willing to contribute to budgeting. Budgeting includes no lavish vacations to New York City so I am happy to see that you have decided to stay home.

Carrie said...

I think your new budgeting needs to start AFTER your lavish trip tgo NYC....remind me never to have Tim and Jonny talk $$$ together or we could be in trouble!

Grammy Carrie said...

ummmm jonny.... I think there are a bunch of Peterson girls that you will have to fight to keep her home.... SHE IS COMING TO NYC...besides her room and plane tickets are all ordered and booked... So now she will just have to sell a couple pairs of shoes to eat and play... :)

Linds... I to feel like we have been blessed.... I have been adding to our food storage at a much quicker rate these days... I feel like inflation is just around the corner... We quit going out to eat because I am trying to stay with fresh foods for my health... But I realized it has saved us about 200.00 - 250.00 a month... I did not realize how much eating out was costing us... I bought a bunch of plastic dishes with lids.. Bart and Dan'L now take leftovers for lunch.. I to am a list maker... I have a list of lists on my desk to remind me what list I need to make.. I cross off each item as I do it.. I don't know if it is helping me save money, but it does seem to show me what I get done each day... :) I can't wait for NYC... I am way excited to play play play... keep up the good work.. You are adorable...Love you, Aunt Colorado Carrie

Nate & Mandi said...

Yay I just found your blog! It is hard to figure out how best to save money, isn't it?